Street Life (Buddy)


I have been riding a bicycle to work with the Dahon D7 Curve Folding Bike. I really find this bike very appropriate for my work commute along the reputedly dangerous Commonwealth Avenue in Quezon City. I was first reluctant in using this bicycle considering its very small wheels. What I used before in my attempt for a "bike to work" kind of existence is my hybrid bicycle which is definitely faster. However, after trying the D7 Curve I discovered that it's being small adds to that much-needed maneuverability when trying to squeeze into small spaces between vehicles, pedestrians or commuters. It is lightweight making it easier to carry on the steps of the overpass to the other side of the highway.


I am beginning to enjoy going to work on a bicycle. It is dangerous given the lack of bicycle lanes on major parts of Commonwealth Avenue. With risks lurking on every pedal, I became more aware of my surroundings. Perhaps with this added sense of awareness, I was able to see "street life" on a different angle. Riding a bicycle to work or to any other destination made me more connected to the "real world". Seeing life while on a bicycle is entirely different when you see it inside a closed vehicle. I will try to capture street life as I see it. There is really much to see about life on the streets. When on a vehicle, street life seems to pass without me almost noticing it. Ironically, when I am on a bicycle, I see vestiges of street life that are often seen every day while actually appreciating it. I see diversity in life as common as commuters desperately waiting for a ride or vendors simply selling vegetables on the street. To see life as it unfolds, the street is a good place to start with.


Given the D7 Curve's ability to maneuver, I was able to go to those "in-between spaces" and "inner streets" where I saw life and the struggle for daily existence. Life is indeed beyond what we always expected. It is not fair. It does not wait. Rich or poor, both only have one chance at life! We may see life or (lived it) at different perspectives but there is one common denominator - we really do not know how it will unfold.







Comments

Popular Posts