Bike To Work (Conquer Your Fear)


I have been doing a bike to work kind of strategy lately with my Dahon D7 Curve Folding Bike. The very first time I thought of doing this struck fear in my consciousness. I was reluctant. I thought of a lot of negative things about getting to work on a bicycle. To get to work from where I live, I have to survive what is reputedly considered as one, if not, the most dangerous road in Metro Manila - Commonwealth Avenue in Quezon City. I thought that it is definitely a bad move to ride a bicycle to work especially if you need to cycle on this road.

But by turning vegan in November 2016 radically transformed my way of thinking about fear. To conquer fear, we should avoid ingesting it! Being vegan has deterred me from ingesting the fear felt by animals who were lined up in slaughterhouses to be killed. Imagine the fear of this cow who is next in line. If we eat the animals who have trembled in fear before being killed - that fear would logically be part of our body or consciousness. It is that kind of fear that prevents us from doing what we really want to do and enjoy the kind of life we want.

With fear reduced, I was able to conquer most of it. Fear has been transformed not as a deterrent but a stepping stone to take that leap of faith. If others can do it, why can't I? Instead of focusing on the negative or what can get wrong, I began to think of how to survive this reputedly dangerous road on a bicycle. I devised a strategy to (1) cycle only on the safest part of Commonwealth Avenue. After observing other cyclists plying this road, I have realized that there are areas that are relatively  "bike friendly" or are wide enough to cycle safely. Part of my tactic is to ensure that (2) I am wearing the proper gear (particularly a helmet) and that (3)  my bicycle is in great condition (focusing on the brakes and the wheels). During my ride, (4) I obey all traffic rules and regulations and (5) I am always conscious about my surroundings focusing on my safety and others on the road.  But the best move that I always employ is to (6) pray and ask for guidance. With all these, I am able to conquer fear and shift to a "bike to work" kind of life.











Comments

Popular Posts