First Impressions (2018 Merida Big Seven 80-D (27.5) Mountain Bike)


I have been using a mountain bike with a  "Mosso Frame" I bought in Cartimar in Pasay City. It has a 26-inch wheel coupled with great components.


After years of enjoying that bike, I thought it is time to add more. I just recently got a Dahon Folding Bike at Raptor and a 2018 Merida Big Seven 80-D with 27.5-inch wheels at Ryan Bikes Lagro. With the great benefits we can derive from cycling, it is indeed a better move to just get out and bike.

Since I had been using a 26-inch wheel for years, I thought of upgrading to larger wheel size. I first tried the 29. But after getting on the bike, I was not that comfortable. The staff at RyanBikes were very helpful in providing the needed advice and suggestion. In choosing a mountain bike, it is necessary that it fits you and you are comfortable riding it. A bike where it is a "wrong fit" can create a lot of problems and body aches. I then settled for the 27.5 wheel size. I think that transitioning from a26-inch wheel to a 29 is a big leap and not a good idea at that time.

I got a discount for my purchase and a freebie. I was also assured that if there are needed repairs or adjustments, I can simply visit the store and everything is free. This is what I like when buying bicycles - the "after-sales service". It is definitely a good move to choose a store that provides a reliable after-sales service. A bike would necessarily demand adjustments and repairs no matter how it is used or abused.

The Merida Big Seven 80-D with its 27.5-inch wheel is truly a fun machine. It is stable and easy to handle even for a beginner. Its handlebar is rightly sized for a more confident ride and the hydraulic disc brakes make you feel much safer on the road or on the trail. Its shifting mechanism works perfectly with a working knowledge of proper shifting.

"2018 MERIDA BIG SEVEN 80-D 2018 (27.5) SPECS:
Frame 6061 series double butted and technoformed aluminium
Forks Suntour XCR 100mm travel fork with remote lockout and 32mm stanchions
Headset Merida M44PSE
Handlebars Merida Speed Oversize clamp 690mm wide 15mm rise
Stem Merida Expert 3d forged 6061 aluminium, oversize clamp 7 degree
Shifters 30 Speed Shimano Deore 30 speed rapid fire shifters
Front Mech Shimano Deore
Rear Mech Shimano XT Shadow, 30 speed
Chainset Shimano MT500 40-30-22 teeth
Bottom Bracket Shimano 52 BSA
Chain KMC X10-1
Cassette Shimano CS-HG50, 10 speed, 11-36
Front Brake Shimano M315 hydraulic disc, 160mm rotors
Rear Brake Shimano M315 hydraulic disc, 160mm rotors
Rims Merida Alloy, 32 hole
Front Hub Shimano TX505, 32 hole, centre lock, quick release
Rear Hub Shimano TX505, 32 hole, centre lock, quick release
Spokes Black stainless
Tyres Merida K1080 27.5" * 2.2" wire bead with 30tpi sidewall FrontMerida K1080 27.5" * 2.2" wire bead with 30tpi sidewall Rear
Seatpost Merida Speed 27.2mm
Pedals VP, VPE-891"

If you intend to get your first mountain bike, I hope this guide may be of help.





Comments

Popular Posts