Chess (Colonnade Mall, Cebu)




Every time I get a chance to visit Cebu I always pass by Colonnade Mall, not to shop or dine, but to play a few games of chess.

This mall is located in Colon Street considered as the oldest street in the Philippines. It is a very busy street that reminds me of Recto and Quiapo in Manila.  Travelers to this area are reminded to be extra careful and be wary of their surroundings. But I can say that the place is relatively safe for tourists and chess players.

When I visited Colonnade Mall this month, I saw that the chess area is somewhat smaller now compared to what I recall years ago. Yet I am happy to see that this small chess plaza is still in existence and appears to be going strong given the number of chess players. Here players can rent chessboards and clocks for a very minimal fee and enjoy the game for hours.

In this small space, I saw several of our senior citizens enjoy chess.  Chess gives them a very good past time and a way of continually sharpening their minds preventing Alzheimer’s disease.  But it is not only our senior citizens who patronize and play chess in Colonnade Mall, but players of all ages and levels of society also enjoy playing chess in this small chess area.

It is really good to know that there are individuals who continually invest time and capital to run a small café for the benefit of chess players and enthusiasts. I wish that every mall in the country would devote a small space where the public can play chess for free or even at a minimal cost.




Comments

Popular Posts